Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Train of Thought

This was a piece of dialogue I wrote, with inspiration from the picture, for our writers' group.



“Come on, Jordan, you can tell me.” Her lower lip plumped out in a pretty pout and something squeezed involuntarily low in his belly.
“It’s not for me to say anything, Cassie.” He twisted his cap and then smacked it on his knee. He stood abruptly and paced a few feet away from her down the tracks. “I would never have come out here with you if I knew you just wanted to pry me for information.” He gazed longingly to the path back to the school through the grove of trees. He sighed heavily and looked down at her smirk and raised eyebrows.
“And just what did you think I wanted you here for?” Her eyes crinkled in humour. “Thought maybe I’d like you all to myself out here and have my way with you?” Cassie giggled as a furious blush crept up Jordan’s throat to his cheeks.
Despite his discomfiture, he took a threatening step towards her which cut off her sniggers. As he hovered over her with his jaw set, her lips curved in a frown and she swallowed hard.
“And maybe, I wanted you all to myself, Cassie,” he snarled. “Maybe you shouldn't let ‘boys’…” he sneered the word, “….take you to isolated, secluded spots.” He grabbed her arm and pulled her up in front of him, her nose a mere inch from his. “And maybe it’s me who wants to have my way with you!” Her breath caught and then heaved double time.
“Let go of me,” she gruffed, and her voice shook. She yanked her arm from him and backed away. “I just wanted to talk to you about your stupid brother,” she spat out through gritted teeth. “He’s been playing me along for weeks and I thought maybe you’d tell me whether he was really interested.” Cassie’s face was as red as his now, but in anger not embarrassment.
“My stupid brother is just that…stupid,” Jordan griped. He took in a deep breath and puffed it out through his nose. “And if you think I’d know anything about what he’s thinking then you know nothing about him.” Cassie’s shoulders dropped and signed deeply as her anger deflated. He shoved his hands deep in his jean pockets and turned away from her, scuffing his feet slowly down the tracks.
“But he must have said something to you about me,” Cassie wheedled in a plaintive tone, as she scurried after him. “Anything?” She scooted in front of him and walked backwards with a hopeful raise of her brows. Jordan looked up and saw her eyes creased and glistening suspiciously and his innards did that same funny turn again.
“Cassie, Todd is a class A jerk. He has a higher opinion of himself than anyone he knows and why wouldn’t he. He knows he looks good to girls. He’s playing for the Jays’ farm team and he’s got money to spread around his backwoods hometown.” As her face fell, Jordan turned away unable to look at her disappointment. “He’s just back for a few weeks before spring training and looking for a party. I’ve watched him lead girls on all the time AND he’s five years older than you. I’ve never heard your name once from his lips.” Her head was down now, her hair falling out of its bun and curtaining her face. “I’m sorry you've wasted your time with me.” Cassie’s lips pursed tightly and she shook her head slowly.
“Oh, it wasn't a waste with you, but apparently I wasted my time with Todd.” Her words were laced with a false lightness. “You've actually confirmed what I've known all along.”
“What’s that,” Jordan queried warily.
She turned quickly forward and stepped up to balance on the rail, her arms held out to steady herself as she stepped along it. “I know I’m not really attractive. I mean I’m not ugly. And I’m a cheerleader and I’m smart and all.” She choked off a laugh. “You know I've worn my mom’s pearls for the past week, put my hair up and dressed super conservative hoping it would make me look older and more sophisticated to Todd. Really I just look like the old maid librarian I’ll probably end up. I’m just not really what guys want.” She drew in a shuddering breath and turned bleary eyes on Jordan.
Jordan coughed lightly to clear the lump in his throat, looked away and in a low voice murmured, “You’re what this guy wants.”
“What did you say?” Cassie twisted toward him and tottered on the rail. Jordan reached out reflexively to steady her.
His hands on her shoulders, he lifted his eyes once he saw her feet were stable, and found his nose just inches from hers. He stared into moss green eyes full of dawning recognition. The moment hung heavy and the feeling from his gut blossoming into his chest which started his heart racing. “I…uh…I…”
Cassie puffed out a laugh and turned away, skittering down the rail. “You’re so cute, Jordan,” she stammered. “Such a nice boy…”
“Boy!” he barked. “For Pete’s sake, Cass, I’m six months younger than you and we’re in the same class. And I’m not…” His thought was interrupted by a vibration under his feet. In the distance, a horn sounded and it confirmed his thought. “Come on, let’s get off the tracks; the train is coming.” He jumped over the rail across from her onto the grassy bank.
“It’s a long way off,” she quipped lightly and continued her balancing act. “What were you saying?”
He frowned, “I don’t remember. Now get off the tracks.”
“You remember…tell me.”
He sighed. “I was going to say that I’m not my brother.” Jordan could feel the rumble on the ground beside the track now. “Get over here, Cass.”
“And in what way are you not like your brother, Jordie,” she bantered in a sing-song voice. The chug of the engine was audible now and the pinprick of the light visible as it rounded the bend a thousand yards away.
“This is not funny, Cass, get over here before I drag you.”
“Just tell me what I want to know.” Her mouth set and her eyes hardened in determination.
“Geez, Cass, I’m not Todd. I like you for you. For who you are….okay?” He swallowed and watched the train approach.
“And who am I, Jordan?”
“Oh God, Cass…come on!” But she just raised her eyebrows in question. “Okay, okay…you’re funny and smart and beautiful and I… and I… CASS!” he pleaded. The train was a hundred yards away.
“And…” she raised her voice over the racket of the oncoming disaster completely fixed on him as he was fixed on the proximity of the train.
“And I …and I...Aaaargh.” Jordan leapt over the rail and launched himself at Cassie bowling them both to the grass on the other side of the tracks, landing with a double ‘oomph’ as they hit the ground. Five seconds later the train thundered by and Jordan wasn't sure if it was the blaring horn or his heart that reverberated in his brain.
He lay on top of Cassie and pushed up on his arms to relieve pressure on her. She stared calmly up at him, brows still raised in question. They stayed like that for a long moment, and after the roar of the clattering railcars passed, she whispered, “And?”
He leaned down and kissed her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment