Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Joy Dare - Feb 10




Three times you heard laughter today


My life is pretty full of laughter. I love to laugh. I find a lot of things funny. I like to be funny. I like to make people laugh. There is something that bubbles up in me when I hear others laugh. I think its joy.

1. My house is often full of people, mostly young people, and tonight it was no different. Some grade 1o girls and their leaders from our youth group were over for a social night. I shared with them one of my favourite movies, Notting Hill. (yes, I have a lot of romcom movies, don't judge) and I know it well enough that I began to giggle in anticipation of the 'funny bits', which got the girls giggling at me, which turned into loud guffaws when the 'funny bits' finally came. There is nothing I like better than the sound of the laughter of young people in my house and thankfully I still hear it often.

2. I was showing some people a video of a 'talent show' piece (and I use the word talent here loosely) that our mission team to Belarus 'performed' as part of an activity in an English camp we were hosting last summer. Our team was lip syncing to 'Stop' by the Spice Girls and showing our mad dance skills...well those I was showing it to laughed like crazy, never mind the screams and laughter I heard on the video that lifted my heart. Every time I make a fool of myself and I hear that...it's worth it everytime. See it here for yourself http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=118338038263467 and maybe you'll hear the gift of laughter too.

3. I have these little wind-up toys on my desk at work....one of which is a set of clattering teeth. The students in our school are age 5 to 10, the prime age for loosing baby teeth. As a result I get a lot of little ones in the office with little teeth that have popped out. I give them a little treasure chest to put their tooth in (so it doesn't get lost in the backpack) and then I set my little wind-up set of teeth to chattering to make the child grin their smile with a hole in it. Well I had a little five year old in today...and when I set the clattering teeth a-going, she started giggling and couldn't stop...her little cheeks puffed up, her eyes squeezed shut and she shook with her mirth. It set me and other secretary to laughing too...I had to wind it up three or four times, just to hear that bubbling sound of joy. What a sweet little gift in the day.


If you get a chance to laugh, don't hold it in...let it out, no matter your circumstances, it's always a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment