Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Joy Dare - Feb 24-26

(This was my photo posted for reflections on a FB group I belong to(see below) and it is also something very old (1000 year old temple Ankor Wat in Cambodia) and let's say it was taken before 11am. :) )
Well, I have had a busy few days, leaving me entirely tired at the end of the days, so posting did not happen...that doesn't mean I haven't been noticing the gifts. So I'll mix up the gifts and the days and run them all together...which will pretty much reflect how the last three days have been for me...
Three gifts before 11am
A gift nearly worn out, a gift new, A gift made-do
Three gifts seen as reflections

Ideally I would like to see nothing save the inside of the book I'm currently reading, with a coffee in hand, dressed in my jammies before 11 am ...buuuuutt, that definitely didn't happen this weekend. However before 11am some lovely things happened...I had the opportunity on Friday to be a judge at our school's science fair. I know you know that I love young people, and to come to them, shake their hand, ask them questions about the things they've learned, what they concluded, whether they were wrong or right in their hypothesis, and how long it took them to make their display just made my day. It took only a few moments, but I gave them some encouragement, smiled, congratulated them on their work. They were so proud and pleased to share. And so they should have been. Saturday before 11am I shared a breakfast with a dear young woman whom I love, home for reading week from university and hear her heart on a number of things and just enjoy her company. I was up this snowy, blustery Sunday morning and on to church to share some hard truths with grade 5/6 boys and girls about bullying. They were intent, engaged and I think they heard that God understands and that forgiveness is the key. Who knew I could be gifted that early in the day.

I got some lovely new pillows on Friday, and new pillow cases and I tell you, I had the best sleep I'd had in a month or so. I got into bed that night, sunk my head onto that pillow and sighed the deep, deep sigh. Lovely! Well, I don't know if it's nearly worn out, but it's certainly worn in...I love our little den on our top floor. It was the best idea to turn a bedroom into a mini sanctuary...and in it is my recliner, perfectly formed to my form and the place I am most relaxed, aside from bed, in our home. One of my best creative talents I think is opening the fridge door, checking the contents and putting together a meal in a make do way...today, while I had a plan, I got home at 4:30 after a long day and in an hour and a half, put together a ham, creamed potatoes and onions, corn and beans and home-made rolls dinner for 10.

Mirrors are not something I truly like looking into, I am not fond of my reflection, but on Friday I went for a regular appointment for a nail fill and eyebrow wax. I must say I really like looking at my eyebrow when they are professionally groomed. I had never been one to pay much attention to fashion or make up or fine personal grooming when I was younger. I never felt worth it. Part of loving God is knowing I am worth Him loving, and so I have worth and beauty in His eyes, and it's okay to do things that help me take pleasure in my appearance. Today in my rear view mirror, while sitting in my car in a parking lot, I saw a dear young man, brushing snow off my car. This is just one of the things he does to bring joy to my life. He is a gift beyond measure to my life. This week the theme on a photography group I belong to on Facebook was reflections...some lovely photos were posted showing beauty, and whimsy and humour and all of them were a gift to me...from talent and vision.

Whew...so many gifts....so little time. It is necessary though to take the moment to acknowledge them.

No comments:

Post a Comment